Thursday, July 7, 2011

Resting and Relaxing on the top of the World

Help me fight cancer. Donate Here.


In the interest of recovering from yesterday's long ride, I spent the whole day off my bike. But not resting. No, economic opportunity awaited.

Our intrepid group set out early from Denver, and we were on the trail before 8.



(me in the yellow hat)



My brother and I chose to climb Torrey's by the more difficult Kelso Ridge, while Lauren went up the standard route... And waited for us. It was a fun climb with some great scrambling, and a lot of lung busting altitude. But we topped out on the snowy summit of Torrey's at 14,267 feet. After pausing for some pepperoni and chocolate, we descended into the saddle. While Lauren and my brother pushed up Grays Peak, I ambled back to the car.



I've climbed Grays before, and I decided to forgo the pain that awaited me. So, I slid down a long snowfield, descending almost 800 feet in just over 4 minutes. Sure, I filled my boots with snow, but it was worth it.



Then it was on to Mountain Buzz cafe for the finest cappuccino in the mountains, then home for some coffee encrusted pork loin and homemade jamocha almond fudge ice cream (thanks Aunt Jo). I'm still not sure what a jamocha is.

Just in case you want to track my trek, it is here.
And, no, we never found Lulu.

Location:Torrey's Peak, Co

No comments:

Post a Comment