Saturday, June 4, 2011

Back in the saddle

I'm back baby.

That "project" is about as close to complete as it is going to get. I learned a couple of things. First of all, taking off pedals is NOT easy. I had to pay someone to do that. I disassembled everything else, but I could not get my pedals off.

I learned That a TT setup is super fast (I kinda already knew that...). I've been doing a 22.6 mile loop in just under an hour. That feels pretty fast. I also learned how important turning the handlebars is. VERY. When I put the bike back together, the stem was smashed too far down on the steerer so the turning was, um, sticky. This made a fidgety bike. So much so, that I was afraid to ride it after 7 am, you know, when people are Wake and possibly in their cars. I took apart my stem again and this time gave it just a little more room. Now, the bike handles like a TT bike. Which is to say not well but manageable.









Then today happened (as it does everyday at about the same time). I got ready to ride. That meant fixing a flat tire, making some adjustments on the stem and "fit" of my bike. Then I rode. The steering got progressively tighter and tighter. By the end of mile 2, I decided I couldn't steer any more and I was starting to cut into my study time. So I went home. The steering was stiff and the bike was squirrely. By the time I actually got home, the steering was all but frozen. When I carried the bike up the stairs, the front tire did not even move. So, that one is back on the repair stand.

But, I get my new old one back tomorrow! I'm cutting into my study time.












Location:Richmond, Va

No comments:

Post a Comment