Monday, June 20, 2011

Finally, some distance!

63 miles... In just over three hours. You can see for yourself.


I'm preparing for my medical school boards (step 1). For those of you who are not familiar with Step 1, it is a tradition going back to the early middle ages. It was briefly outlawed following the back lash of the Spanish Inquisition, but it was quickly reinstated in certain areas of Northern Africa as an alternative to chopping off the hands of thieves. It has survived as a way of making sure people really want to be doctors.

It involves someone convincing you to voluntarily lock yourself in a small room for days and day while you study copious amounts of material.
Studying time measured in hours: 6.8 per day with 2.6 review questions
Studying time measured in terms of retention: 19 minutes per day
*retention is defined as a recall with 62% accuracy after 1 week.

So, it was a pretty big deal when I actually got out and notched some distance. My biggest concern going into Colorado is how I will respond to the distance. It is not just hours, it will be hard distance as I will be pedaling throughout e Rockies...every day...for hours.




No comments:

Post a Comment