Saturday, June 25, 2011

Wheels and the Truth

  So, last night, much to my chagrin, I discovered that one of my bike wheels was, shall we say, a liar.  It needed some truing...  A lot of truing (I would have just left it if it was only slightly off).  A bigger problem because I have just shipped off my road bike and I am doing a triathlon this weekend before I myself ship off.
  So I looked up on the interwebs what I ought to do, grabbed my spoke wrench, and set about taking my wheel to truth camp.  First, I played a maoist speech and started turning some spokes.  Silly me, I turned them to the right, when the spokes actually needed to go to the left.  So, instead of a half turn to the left, I did a half turn to the right, then a full turn to the left.  Ah, Lenin would be so proud.
  So, before you start calling me pinko or even full blown red, I would like you to know that I am firmly capitalist.  And I studied history in college so I am familiar with some of Lenin's works.  Yes, a firm capitalist.  If I can't get it at Wallsmart with a "Made in Chinatown" sticker on it, well, then I don't buy.  I like my dry goods cheap, disposable and plastic.  That's capitalism.
  So, my wheel is no longer leaning left or leaning right.  It is now right down the center... and made in Malaysia.

No comments:

Post a Comment