Monday, July 11, 2011

The Case of the Missing Three Miles

Help me fight cancer. Donate Here.

We are in Kansas anymore.






Today started just like any other day: fast. I tore out of Pueblo this morning and made for Ordway. A sign along the way said it was 39 miles. Then, 6 miles later, another sign read 30 miles. I don't know where this miles went, but I wouldn't say I missed them...





Western Colorado is flat. Flat and flat. Not too much here. I stopped briefly in Olney Springs and refilled my water bottle and dodged some missiles. Why were there missiles in Olney Springs, Co? Good question.






Two old men sitting in front of Uncle Billy's Favorite Things (a really cool little diner, but at 10 am, not breakfast, not lunch, just water) warned me that I there was nothing past Sugar City. Unfortunately, Sugar City turned out to be fake.






I have to admit, I feel like a cheater on the trail. No heavy bags, no trailer. All of my heavy things are being carried in a car. You see, my parents recently moved from Denver to Washington, DC and had a car to bring with them.

Now, due to pending obligations in Virginia and travel plans and, well, the roads and excitement, we have had to speed it up...by doing a relay. I rode from Pueblo to Ordway (51 miles), then I picked up the car, drove until I met Lauren (who biked from Ordway). Then I jumped on my bike and we finished up the ride into Eads. There is nothing open in Eads on Sunday, or probably most other days, except one diner. We stopped in and were, ahem, impressed. Sloppy Joes were on the Lighter Side menu. Yum. So, Lauren and I went with the gluten free menu, that is, fries and ice cream.






Our original plan was to kill time in Eads then ride on to tribune this evening. But, with nothing in Eads (as e had missed Mexican food Fridays), I rode on to Sheridan Lake... another 30 miles. The town of Sheridan Lake is visible from about 10 miles away. That last 10 miles was the hardest of my day. The wind picked up, my pace slowed, and Sheridan Lake loomed just as far off as ever.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Lauren rode from Sheridan Lake into Kansas... Together we covered about 150 miles, then the thermostat tipped over 100 and we decided that we had done/had enough. More ice cream and much rejoicing followed.

Check out my tracks here and here.

Location:Towner, Ks

1 comment: