Friday, July 1, 2011

Ahhh. Rest.

Dateline Parker, Colorado.

Rather mundane, humdrum and so so. Ran out to the airport to pick up Lauren. Totally worth it because she brought out gluten free cookies.

I bounced back from my 111 mile effort yesterday and took a spin to keep the legs loose. I went with my parents. So, it was a little slower. Okay, a lot slower. But totally worth it because my pops sprang for some gluten free cookies and cappuccinos. So, fueled by caffeine I left my parents to find their own way home (they lived here, so not really a problem for them).

I then sought out adventure. And, finding none, I too returned to the house to find my aunt. Ride details here. you mayhaps notice that my pace picked up after the first 9 miles. Maybe that was the caffeine, maybe it was because I left my parents behind, maybe it was the wind or maybe just my motor. And then we passed a delightful evening in the company of my parents, my aunt and Lauren.

Overall, a thoroughly fine day.

You will notice a slight gluten free theme. I am one of those gluten free athletes. Does it help? I guess, maybe, sort of, perhaps a bit. So, I had a pinched nerve in my back. Sciatica. I took an advil, it went away and came back two days later. So I started looking for anti-inflammatory foods to avoid the strict better living through chemistry routine. I found Gluten. I ate all my bread and pasta and then... Rice cakes. Two weeks of rice and bland food and mild depression at my situation followed. Intermixed with that was the disappearance of the sciatica pain and a 5 lbs weight loss. Those were some tough times. There were very few gluten free supermarket aisles, and anything stamped with gluten free was out of my budget. But since I have learned to be creative and to live well. Still no bread, no pasta, no wheat... Usually. I do occasionally partake and don't really notice a difference. And beer. Gluten free beer is, well, not worth it. And I do heart beer.
So, Gluten Free Verdict:
Maybe it helps, maybe not. I feel like I recover faster, sometimes I find that I have been cheating and don't feel as well. But, the back pain is gone and I feel pretty good, so I'm going to stick with it. Not to mention, there is a certain moral superiority to being on a special diet. And I do love that.




Location:Parker, Co

No comments:

Post a Comment